Pages Navigation Menu

Church Recordings

Marcia Meyer with the completed 'Memorials' for Aston Old Church

Marcia Meyer with the completed ‘Memorials’ for Aston Old Church

NADFAS Church Recorders produce records of the contents of churches, describing items accurately and researching the history of these. Illustrated copies of the record are presented to the church, the diocese, the Victoria and Albert museum, the National Churches Trust and the National Record of Monuments.

After many years of jointly leading the BDFAS Church Recorders, Liz Dancey and Marcia Meyer recently stepped down. In the absence of anybody to take their place, there is currently no active Church Recorders group. We hope that somebody will come forward to take up its leadership and re-establish the group. In the meantime, however, we are etablishing a church interest group which will organise visits to local churches and other related activities.


CURRENT PROJECTS

Liz Dancey and Marcia Meyer, retired leaders of the Church Recording group, present the church record to the vicar of St Michael’s and All Angels, Cofton Hackett

Liz Dancey and Marcia Meyer, retired leaders of the Church Recording group, present the church record to the vicar of St Michael’s and All Angels, Cofton Hackett

Work continues on the recording of St. Mary’s Moseley and is expected to be completed very shortly.

Completed Records

  • Old Church, Edgbaston
  • St Paul’s in the Jewellery Quarter
  • St Peter’s, Harborne
  • St Michael’s and All Angels, Cofton Hackett, Barnt Green
  • Aston Old Church


HARDMAN ARCHIVES PROJECT 2008-2009

BDFAS volunteers working on the Hardman archives

BDFAS volunteers working on the Hardman archives

Volunteers helped to catalogue and store the archives of John Hardman & Co in their Birmingham base. The majority of those archives are now in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery and in the Library of Birmingham.

John Hardman & Co was established in 1838 when AWN Pugin persuaded his friend, John Hardman Jnr to extend his button-making factory into the manufacture of ecclesiastical metalwork for the new gothic-revival churches that were being built to Pugin’s design. In 1845, the company expanded to include the design and manufacture of stained glass. The archives include drawings, designs, photographs of world wide commissions including the Palace of Westminster and cathedrals in USA and Australia. The volunteers have been working in conjunction with Michael Fisher FSA, the archivist for John Hardman.